WINS server usage

F. G. P. fgp at fgp.atnet.at
Sun Aug 23 14:11:20 GMT 1998

> I have a class C address space divided into 3 subnets. I have a
> Samba server on each subnet and all 3 subnets are under the same
> Domain/Workgroup. My browsing works fine. But when the frame relay
> between the subnets goes down, the 2 subnets that don't have the WINS
> server local cant find their local Samba server.
>
> Do I need to have a WINS server on each subnet to keep this
> from happening? Is it OK to do that?
>
> How else can I tell the Win95 workstations how to find the local server?
>
> Should I not be using WINS at all?
>
> Thanks for any replies.

YOu should try using the parameter "wins proxy" on the samba server on
each subnet. Try setting "wins proxy=yes" and "wins server=<your wins
server IP-Address>". I don't know, if "wins proxy=yes" caches the main
wins server, or not, but i guess it's worth trying.

                                                            greetings, fgp
        F.G.P. <fgp at fgp.atnet.at>
Windows  : Will Install Needless Data on Whole System
Macintosh: Most Applications Crash, If Not, The Operating System Hangs
OS/2     : Obsolete Soon, Too
Java     : Just Another Vague Acronym
Pcmcia   : People Can´t Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms
Pentium  : Produces Erroneos Numbers Through Incorrect Understanding of
              Math