Maintaing Quotas

Fred Lindberg lindberg at id.wustl.edu
Wed Aug 19 23:05:57 GMT 1998

>We have our user set up with quotas on RedHat Linux server(5.1). It works under the normal
>linux enviroment. BUT when we use SAMBA to get the user's home directory
>mapped to drive letter on a WINNTmachine (4 with SP 3) it doesn't maintain
>the quota. After using all the allocted space user can still copy files to that
>drive which is mapped for user's home directory. Does anybody else had the
>same problem and if they have can they please help us.

Nope. Quotas work fine here. Win95 -> linux rh5.1/samba-1.9.18p7-2.
"There is insufficient free space on the drive" when hard quota is hit.
Are you sure you're exceeding the hard quota? Are you sure that the
user connects as the user, i.e. you're not writing files as "nobody"?

WinNT shouldn't make any difference. This is all linux kernel stuff.

-Sincerely, Fred