releasing locks

Tim.Brennan at coat.com Tim.Brennan at coat.com
Tue Aug 18 12:27:04 GMT 1998

Sorry if this is in the docs somewhere, or listed in a faq or two,
but I haven't gotten that far down in my list of things to do to
look it up, so I'm asking all of you.

I did look through the docs included with the distribution, but didn't
see any reference.

We are running 1.9.17p2 on Solaris, and occasionally (ok, more than
occasionally) a user's pc will crash w/o properly releasing the locks
on any files they have held open.  When the pc finishes rebooting, and
the user tries to re-open the file, they get it as read only.

I've tried killing their individual smbd process, but the file still
shows as being locked.  It seems that only when I kill all smbd processes
that the file is released.

Is there a better way to release files after a user's system crashes?

TIA for the help.

				Tim