Workgroups and Domain Browsing.

eleet at altern.org eleet at altern.org
Mon Aug 17 00:34:29 GMT 1998

Does any workgroup actually need a Master Domain browser?

I have a small network with a linux running samba and win95
clients mounting shares from it. Security is user and each
client authenticates with the linux box when requesting
a share.

I have nothing configured on the matter in smb.com (no
local master, preferred master, os level) and wouldn't
expect to need it, but my smb.conf is filled with

find_domain_master_name_query_fail: Unable to find the Domain
 Master Browser name ASHPOOL<1b> for the workgroup ASHPOOL.
 Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

Why exactly is it complaining of this? All clients can find
the linux box fine, and can browse it's resources.

Samba version 1.9.18p1.

TIA,

Christian