list etiquette

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri Aug 14 20:11:21 GMT 1998

Howdy folks:

Please (I beg you, please!) don't follow the examples of a couple
of recent posters.  This is very bad form.  If you want to get off
the list, please don't send send a message to the list begging
other readers to help (they can't).  Only you can help stamp out
forest fires (or get yourself off this list).  At the top of every
message from the list is a URL that can help you with list commands:

 http://samba.anu.edu.au/listproc

or you can try sending a help message to the listproc software:

For information on this service and how to use it, send the
following request in the body of a mail message to
listproc at samba.anu.edu.au:

 HELP

All requests should be addressed to listproc at samba.anu.edu.au.

Second rule of etiquette:

Please don't send HTML or M$ RichText crap in your list messages
(or most people will simply ignore them).  Email is defined by an
RFC standards document as strictly ascii text (no matter what
microsloth decides it should be).  Even though HTML meets the
definition of ascii text, most mail readers in use today
(especially character mode/console apps like pine) cannot render
HTML.  Even though my windoze mailer (Pegasus 3.01) can do it, the
mailing list digest still makes it show up as straight text.

If you don't know how to turn that RichCrap off, see the win95
annoyances page:

http://www.annoyances.org

Thank you for your attention.  We now return you to your regularly
scheduled programming.

Stephen L Arnold                             sarnold at earthling.net
Conserving bandwidth (and bellybutton lint)