SAMBA digest 1778

Paul L. Lussier plussier at BayNetworks.COM
Fri Aug 14 15:56:47 GMT 1998

>Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:18:02 -0400
>From: "Mark Hazen" <mhazen at franklin.uga.edu>
>To: <samba at samba.anu.edu.au>
>Subject: Re: Network Neighborhood comment fields and Samba

>Have you tried commenting that string out in your smb.conf file, and letting
>the string be set first in the individual configs? That'd be my first
>suggestion.

I have tried that, and that just forced the default comment of:

	Samba Server 1.9.18pl8

>From reading John Blair's Samba book, and another comment I've received
from someone on the comp.protocols.smb newsgroup, I've gathered that
netbios aliases are really just aliases for the samba server itself, and that
anything listed in the main smb.conf file will affect each alias unless
it's specific smb.conf file over-rides and/or changes that.  But, again in
reference to John's book, using the statement 'include = /path/to/smb.conf%L'
only forces a reading of the conf file when the server is referred to
as that particular alias.  Therefore, nothing in the smb.conf.%L will take
affect until it is called, and nothing in it can affect how it's seen
in the NN explorer window.  Only those options and variables set in the
main smb.conf file will be in affect until one of the aliases is chosen.

So, the only option I can see right now is to start multiple instances of the
server with the hostname cmd line option, and each with their own smb.conf
file.

If I find out anything else, I'll post it to this list.

Thanks!
--

Seeya,
Paul
plussier at baynetworks.com
Broadband Technology Division - Bay Networks (now a Nortel Company, Ay! :)