SAMBA digest 1778

Bob Franklin R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
Fri Aug 14 10:14:29 GMT 1998

> From: "Mark Hazen" <mhazen at franklin.uga.edu>
> Subject: Re: Network Neighborhood comment fields and Samba
>
> >From: "Paul L. Lussier" <plussier at BayNetworks.COM>
> >Subject: Network Neighborhood comment fields and Samba
> >
> >The problem I'm encountering is that the only comment I see is that of
> the >what is listed in the main smb.conf file:
>
> Have you tried commenting that string out in your smb.conf file, and
> letting the string be set first in the individual configs? That'd be my
> first suggestion. My guess is also (just guessing) that either the
> included file is getting parsed before the line in the smb.conf file, or
> SAMBA is intentionally ignoring recurring comments.

I thought the comment was advertised by nmbd as part of the browse list,
so you wouldn't know what name was being used because no connection was
made.

On another note regarding this feature, I tried it yesterday but hit a
snag... the name seems to be case-sensitive, so it depends on whether the
user does '\\vimes', '\\Vimes' or '\\VIMES'.

Since the UNIX filesystem is case-sensitive, doing 'include =
smb.conf.%L' fails if the case is not just right.

Is there a way round this, or do we need a '%l' (or something) which
converts the server name to lower-case?

  - Bob

  I also seek adventure and fortune in the New World! -> esteban at mince.net
  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{], CNE ;), MCSE ;)           Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  Computer Services Centre                      R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.         http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~mince/