Password authentication via NT server on 1.9.18p5

Steve Arntzen sjarntzen at esi-il.com
Thu Aug 13 21:28:58 GMT 1998

I have two Caldera Linux Intel boxes running as Samba
servers (1.9.18p8) using an NT server (SP3) for user
authentication and have no problems.

I cannot get a new box to work this way.

The new machine is a DEC Alpha running Red Hat 5.1
with Samba 1.9.18p5 (pre-installed).

The smb.conf file contains (among other things):
encrypt passwords = yes
security = server
password server = XYZ

Using the "tests" in John Blair's Samba book, I pass
ALL but test 9.

The user log file contains:
password server XYZ rejected the password
NT Password did not match ! Defaulting to Lanman

I can pass test 9 if I use a user name which exists on
the DEC Aplha server, but like the other Samba servers,
I want to use our NT PDC (XYZ) for user authentication.
I would also like to use our NT BDC for backup
authentication. Is the smb.conf entry:
"password server = serv1 serv2" or is there a comma
separating the names?

One interesting thing is the contents of the smb log:
load_client_codepage: filename /etc/codepages/codepage.850
does not exist.
ERROR: root did not create the semaphore.

The ERROR regarding the semaphore seems to be created with
every (failed?) login.

Also, PAM is apperently installed (which I know nothing
about, yet). I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

Please help.

Steve Arntzen
Computer Systems Administrator
Engineering Systems Inc.