Living with WinNT servers / password synchronization

Chong Shang Shan chongsha at sps.nus.edu.sg
Thu Aug 13 01:47:24 GMT 1998

Hello,

	I am running samba 1.9.18p8-1 on a Debian Linux machine. This
machine is set to be a local master and domain master and logons, serving
10 Win95 machines via the LAN. There are *many* WinNT servers "out there",
not maintained by me, which I have no interest in communicating with,
except to live peacefully with them, and not step on their toes.
Everything works perfectly except that the samba daemon keeps writing
gobfuls of messages like

NET: 130 messages suppressed.
137.132.80.131 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast
137.132.80.124 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast
137.132.80.132 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast

The IPs apparently all come from Win NT servers. What is wrong with my
configuration, and how can I solve it? (other than pipe the messages to
/dev/null?)

Another thing worries me is the possibility of unsynchronized passwords.
Apparently, samba allows users to change their passwords via the Win95
control panel. But the network logon password seems to be different from
the "Windows password". As long a user changes his password using the
control panel on one machine, everything seems ok. But a changed password
might not be propagated to the "Windows password" of another machine, and
subsequent changes of passwords will give "password not changed" messages,
even when the network password _is_ changed (pure confusion). So far, I
have not informed my users of this facility, and with this bug, I'm not
sure if I should. But it is a real pain to make everyone change their
passwords through the root. :)

css.
--
Chong Shang Shan <*> ChongSS at letterbox.com <*>