Network Neighborhood comment fields and Samba

Paul L. Lussier plussier at BayNetworks.COM
Wed Aug 12 15:37:19 GMT 1998

Hi all,

I'm using Samba 1.9.18p8 under Solaris 2.5.1.  Within my smb.conf file
I am using the 'netbios aliases' option to make my server appear as 4
different servers with an smb.conf.%L to load the specifics of each:

	netbios aliases = hardware software diagnostics homedirs
	include = /usr/local/samba/var/smb.conf.%L

The problem I'm encountering is that the only comment I see is that of the
what is listed in the main smb.conf file:

	server string = Main Samba Server - Samba %v

each of the smb.conf.%L files have their own 'server string' listed in the
[global] section which is specific to them.  I do see this string once I
'double click' on that "server" and view it's shares.  What I would like to
do is have each server show up in NN with it's own 'server string', such as:

	Name		Comment

	Diagnostics	Diagnostics Group File Server
	Hardware	Hardware Group File Server
	Homedirs	Home Directories File Server
	Samba		Main Samba Server - Samba 1.9.18pl8
	Software	Software Group File Server

I am Currently seeing:

	Name		Comment

	Diagnostics	Main Samba Server - Samba 1.9.18pl8
	Hardware	Main Samba Server - Samba 1.9.18pl8
	Homedirs	Main Samba Server - Samba 1.9.18pl8
	Samba		Main Samba Server - Samba 1.9.18pl8
	Software	Main Samba Server - Samba 1.9.18pl8

Is this even possible?

Thanks for any possible insight to this!
--

Seeya,
Paul
plussier at baynetworks.com
Broadband Technology Division - Bay Networks (now a Nortel Company, Ay! :)