NT Workstation 4.0 on SAMBA

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Aug 11 13:04:53 GMT 1998

> I am running NT Workstation 4.0 w/ sr pack 3.  I am also running a PDC
> with RedHat5.1 and Samba Patch 8.  I presently have domain logons
> occuring on Win95 machines.  Logons, roaming profiles etc work fine
> under win95.  However I need to make ten of my machines into NT
> Workstations.  I am having problems with domain logons.  I went
> through the FAQ on NT on the Samba site, but was unsucessful.  The
> command "smbpasswd -a -m <machine name>" did not work. It complained
> about the "-m" switch.
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction on this one.  Perhaps a
> step by step or a page which outlines the process??

The NTDOM FAQ is the only current documentation for the Samba PDC
support.  Q2.1 ( "How do I download the latest Samba NT Domain
Controller code? " ) tells you that you need the head branch code
rather than the main distributed version ( 1.9.18p8 ).

Once you download the head branch, follow the direction in Q2.2 ( "How
do I get my NT Workstation / Server to login to the Samba controlled
Domain?" ).

I will point out that the first item under Q2.2 is to download the
latest main ( head ) branch code by following the instructions in
Q2.1.

Hope this helps,
j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter