Account not authorized

Matthew Chapman z2232203 at student.unsw.edu.au
Sat Aug 8 03:27:48 GMT 1998

> I installed Samba on my little network and I have one system (NT 4.0) that
> when I log in  net use e: \\drake\username it asks for password then just
> errors out "The account is not authorized to login from this station". It
> happens for all users not just one.

That NT machine is obviously running Service Pack 3, which refuses to connect to servers which do not support password
encryption.

There are two solutions:

1) enable SMB password encryption in Samba. See ENCRYPTION.txt in the Samba docs.

2) disable this behaviour in NT (so it will accept cleartext passwords). This is done by inserting a certain key in the
registry. See WinNT.txt in the Samba docs.

    Matt

--
Matt Chapman
E-mail: mattyc at cyberdude.com