SAMBA digest 1771 (printing woes)

Alex Ardalich alex at gsm.adelaide.edu.au
Fri Aug 7 05:42:36 GMT 1998

I've never setup printing to samba within WfW311 so I'll just
give examples of how I have set things up for NT/W95...

Firstly you may like to go to /etc/rc.d/init.d/ and edit lpd

Change the line daemon lpd to daemon lpd -l
This makes lpd put status messages in /var/log/messages so
you can see what's happeneing.

Of course you'll need to stop/start after the change.

I have many printer spools and I don't configure them seperately
in smb.conf, I just use the standard All Printers..

----
; NOTE: There is NO need to specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
   printable = yes
; Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   public = yes
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700
----

I've also made /var/spool/samba writable by anyone

Your printcap entry looks ok, but you may not want the if: entry
if you don't do printer accounting.

Good Luck, Alex