Supporting both non encrypted and encrypted passwords

Marc Merlin marc.merlin at magic.metawire.com
Fri Aug 7 05:12:35 GMT 1998

[Sorry about the late reply, got swamped with other things]

On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 10:28:32AM +0200, Langsteiner Martin ZFF IE-F wrote:

> 	> How did you setup /etc/smb.conf to accomplish this?
> 	   (...)
> 	   encrypt passwords = yes

Mmmh, that's weird, I was convinced that setting this would force everyone
to use encrypted passwords (which is why the "update encrypted" capability
was added)

> 	I use 'security=share' - which is the default. Thank you for
> your mail! It made me look up some more things, and so I found out that
> the [homes] shares may be connected to by everybody who knows one valid
> username. This is not what you want, I suppose.

This is correct. You would want to use security=user

Marc
--
Home page: http://magic.metawire.com/~merlin/ (browser friendly)
Finger merlin at magic.metawire.com for PGP key and other contact information