SAMBA digest 1771 (printing problems)

Damian Ivereigh damian at cisco.com
Fri Aug 7 04:09:13 GMT 1998

I don't know who this addressed to because for some reason your email
address didn't come across, hopefully you are watching the list.

I can't see anything glaringly wrong with your configuration, so you are
going to need to do some detective work.

You need to track what is happening. First thing to do is just to stop
the print queue using lpc. i.e.

lpc stop lp

Then print your file and see if it lands in the queue (lpq -Plp). If it
does then check the file in /var/spool/lpd/lp (it will be in file
beginning with df). How does it compare with the file you ftp'd over and
printed? You will then have to try and find out why lpd is screwing ip.

However I think it more likely that it doesn't make it to the queue and
you do indeed have a samba problem. Up the debugging level on smbd
(either kill it and restart it with smbd -D -d9) or edit your smb
startup file. In the log (/var/log/samba-log.???), there should be
detail about what is happening. Start by searching for lpr in there. See
if there are any errors. You should at least be able to see the
connection between the PC and Samba. If not then there is no connection
happening, in which case I would start looking more closely at the PC.

If you find some errors, maybe these will help you track it down. It may
just be something dumb, like Samba can't find the lpr program, or maybe
its calling another program.

I hope this helps

Damian