SMB printing server problem... HELP ME !!!

servis at purdue.edu servis at purdue.edu
Fri Aug 7 02:38:42 GMT 1998

*- Ernesto Silva wrote about "SMB printing server problem... HELP ME !!!"
| FILE: /etc/smb.conf

 [snip]

| [printers]
|    comment = HP-LJ 4000
|    printer name = lp
|    printer driver = HP LaserJet 4/4M
|    path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
|    writable = no
|    public = yes
|    printable = yes

It looks like you need a 'print command' line.  Something like

     print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -Plp %s

right now you aren't telling samba how to print the file.

| *******************************************************************************
| FILE: /etc/printcap
| #
| # Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are doing!
| # Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict format!
| # Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
| #
| # This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.
|

| ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL ljet4 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet4 Default 1
| lp:\
| 	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
| 	:mx#0:\
| 	:sh:\
| 	:lp=/dev/lp1:\
| 	:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

If you are using the printers driver on the windows maching you don't
need a input filter(if), this will just send the info directly to the
printer. If you are not using the printers driver then just make sure
the filter you have defined can handle the type of file format you are
sending it.

It is *much* better in my opionion to use the Windows printer driver
designed for that printer an just pass the print directly to the
printer.  You will be able to take full advantage of its features and
will not have to rely on ghostscript or whatever to convert the
postscript you give it to a file format that probably is not utilizing
the full potential of the printer.

Hope this helps,
--
Brian