Printing fails on reboot - ok after smbd restart

Rick Flower Rick.Flower at trw.com
Thu Aug 6 16:17:54 GMT 1998

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998 02:00:55 +1000, Matt JD Aldridge wrote:

>I have exactly the same problem on my Solaris 2.5 SPARC box.  (Samba
>1.9.18p8)  The LP services are being started up way before Samba in rc2,
>Samba is the last thing to be fired up in rc3.
>
>Cheers for any suggestions,

I had the same problem (Samba print services were DOA after a reboot,
but after restarting Samba by hand all was OK)... As it turned out, and was
suggested to me by someone else on this list, try changing your "LPR"
lines in the smb.conf to something like the following :

  print command  = /usr/ucb/lpr -r -P%p %s
  printcap name  = /bin/lpstat
  lpq command    = /usr/ucb/lpq -P%p
  lprm command   = /usr/ucb/lprm -P%p %j

As it turns out, I was informed that the "path" that you have when Samba
is started has EVERYTHING to do with how (or in some cases IF) Samba
finds the "lpr" command.. Once I put the fully-qualified path to the LPR
command (and the rest of the family -- lpstat, lpq, lprm), my problem was
gone!!

P.S.  This was under Solaris 2.6...

Let me know if this doesn't work (or does for that matter!)

I think this should be put in the printing FAQ for Solaris systems...

-- Rick