Locking with M$-Access 97

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Tue Aug 4 01:43:34 GMT 1998

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Klaus Kappel wrote:

> This is a REAL problem on the way to world domination ;-)
>
> PROBLEM:
> since we moved a MS-Access MDB (16 Meg) to samba,
> it ist killing queries more than twice a day, loosing records, ...
> It seems the application has no chance to recognice locked records and
> inform the user.
> with smbstatus I get one locking entry for the first user accessing the
> database (like: DENY_NONE   RDWR), the second is not in the locking list.
> Is this behaviour normal?
>
> FORMERLY: The database ran under one Win95 share (fast as a wiesel), did
> inform the user about locked datasets,...
>
> SERVER:
> solid P75, 32MB, SCSI, D-Link PCI ETHERNET (BNC)
> We are running samba 1.9.16p11 with debian 1.3.1

You are using a very ancient samba. Upgrade to the latest version, and if
there are still problems, report them then.

After you upgrade your samba, put "share modes = yes" in the global
section of you smb.conf, and put "locking = yes" in the relevant share
section.

BTW, Access does have options about whether to allow multiple access to
databases or not. Make sure that it is configured properly.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301