Logging on to the network - one samba, two subnets.

Matthew Geier matthew at janus.law.usyd.edu.au
Sat Aug 1 22:04:32 GMT 1998

>   2) Logging on to the network - one samba, two subnets.
> 	by "Eddie Irvine" <eirvine at tpgi.com.au>

> Will the new W95 machines in the new IP subnet
> (192.168.2.1/24)  be able to use the Samba
> Server on the old subnet (192.168.1.1/24) ?

 Yes.

> Anything special I have to do?

 The router needs to forward the appropiate broadcasts. On a CISCO this
is the 'ip helper' command.
 I have machines on three subnets, seperated by CISCO gear, and all that
was done was to configure the routers. For Samba/SMB, the appropiate
name resolution broadcasts need to be forwarded.
 I have machines on the other end of a 2mb microwave link and ATM network
logging in fine, and the only thing done for that was a 'ip helper {address
of server} on the remote network's router.
 I assume most other routers have similar functionality.