Printing from NT4 public=no

Daniel Grandjean grandjea at dgrsunm.epfl.ch
Thu Apr 30 16:39:54 GMT 1998

Hello,

Im using samba samba-1.9.18p4 on solaris 2.6.
Every works fine with Win95. (browsing, file service printing)
With NT file service and browsing are OK.

I was wondering if its possible to print from Windows NT4 SP3
samba print services with the option
public=no

The printing fail silently on the NT machines.
I was hoping to have a 'network password' dialog box
the same way as to connect to a file service,
but alas none is displayed.

Is that the normal printing behaviour or a misconfiguration?

Thanks.
Daniel.

smb.conf:

   getwd cache = Yes
   debug level = 3
   security = users
   character set = iso8859-1
   workgroup = DGR
   netbios name = DGRLPR
   server string = DGRLPR Server %v
   status = yes

   printer driver file=/usr/local/samba/lib/printers.def

   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   case sensitive = no

   wins server = 128.178.1.44
   domain master = no
   preferred master = no
   local master = no
   wins support = no

   remote announce = 128.178.41.255

   invalid users = root
   dont descend = /proc,/dev,/etc
   allow hosts = 128.178.
   mangled names = no
   guest account = nobody
   wide links = no
   create mask = 0640
   directory mask = 0750
   printing = bsd
   print command = /usr/ucb/lpr -r -P %p %s
   lpq command = /usr/ucb/lpq %p
   lprm command = /usr/ucb/lprm -P%p %j
   revalidate = false

[printer$]
   path=/usr/local/samba/printer
   public=yes
   writable=no
   browseable=yes

;Apple LaserWriter IIg
[silw2g]
   printer name = silw2g
   printer driver = Apple LaserWriter IIg
   printer driver location = \\%L\PRINTER$
   path = /var/spool/smb
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   comment = LaserWriter IIg Salle PC
   public = no
_
Daniel Grandjean, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology        __  __
Address:     EPFL SI-DGR, CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland       |  \/  |
E-mail:      Daniel.Grandjean at epfl.ch                         |o ()o _
Phone:       +41 21 693 27 24   (Central European Time)       |__/\__/
Fax:         +41 21 693 27 27
WWW:         http://dgrwww.epfl.ch                              \__/