SAMBA digest 1670

Mika T. Lindqvist mika at field.ttaol.fi
Wed Apr 29 04:48:26 GMT 1998

> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:05:17 +0200 (MEST)
> From: "F. G. P." <fgp at fgp.atnet.at>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <samba at samba.anu.edu.au>
> Subject: printing from unix to smb printer
>
> Hi
>
> This would not work, because the unix-password are encrypted by an
> one-way-hash funktion. With today's computers it's NOT possible to get the
> clear-text password from the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow file, no is it

My one friend has many times tried to use a decryption program, which
supposely could broke unix password... I sent him once a encrypted
password, which for I didn't have decrypted one and he gave me it. It was
something that could be someone's password... I don't know how he did
that, but I think somehow he did it.. Was it somekind of brute force or
not, only God knows it. He never sent me that program 'cause he promised
not to do so.