Group information lost when security = server

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Tue Apr 28 21:46:09 GMT 1998

Steve,

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:14:38 -0700, Steve Francis wrote:

>force group = staff does not work either.
>
>smbstatus shows the group correctly:
> ./smbstatus
>
>Samba version 1.9.18p4
>Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
>cslan        bmiller  staff    45176   stevef

Is this different to "force group = %G"?

>But files are all created with the group of sys.

Are you sure you do not have an sgid-Bit set on that directory?

Where does the group sys come from? Dir you try to increase the debug level and analyze the logs?

>Not only that, but force group = "literal group" will not work for me anyway,
>as I need to maintain file access differently for people in different groups
>accessing the same share.

What about %g instead of %G?

>IS there a working solution for this when using security = server?

I'm quite sure this does not have anything to do with "security = server".

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Radio Bornheim - 2:2461/332 at fidonet +49-69-4930830  (ZyX, V34)
                 2:2461/326 at fidonet +49-69-94414444 (ISDN X.75)