Printers disappearing

Matthew Geier matthew at law.usyd.edu.au
Mon Apr 27 23:44:11 GMT 1998

> From: "Tony House" <tonyh at menzies.su.edu.au>
> Subject: Printers disappearing
>
> The problem is the list of defined printers in Windows disappears every now
> and then.  It does not happen for all PCs simultaneously, or even for groups
> of PCs.  But when it does happen the only way to get the listing back is to
> restart Windows 95.
>
> Does this strike a familiar note with anyone?

 Yes. Happens to me sometimes, latest version of Samba on Solaris 2.5.1,
athough it has been happening for a long time. Some PC's are more prone to
the problem than others, most have never had the problem and it only happens
to one machine at the time.
 I have one machine that is quite prone to this 'disappearing printers' problem
that is identical to 20 others that dont have the problem. Ive not seen a
pattern.

 Trying to re-define the printers just gets windows confused. Rebooting fixes
it.
 I usually get called when Eudora crashes in response to a print request, Eudora
doesnt take kindly to the default printer disappearing.

Matthew Geier,                          matthew at law.usyd.edu.au
Computer Systems Manager,               +61 2 9351 0240
Law School, University of Sydney        +61 2 9351 0200 (fax)