nmbd fork-and-exec, ...

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Mon Apr 27 05:47:18 GMT 1998

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, F. G. P. wrote:

> Hi
>
> I know this is completely off-topic...sorry, but thsi really interrested
> me. Andrew writes.. "Just look at unix netscape, it has 2 processes for
> exactly the same reason". I NEVER found a unix netscape that does
> asyncronous dns-lookups - so Andrew please tell me where you found it. I
> HATE waiting if I entered the wrong hostname....

Maybe he means the Squid cache.

In any case, if you want a concrete example that forking a process is used
in practice to get DNS resolved without blocking, squid'll do.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301