Am I being hacked?

Matthew Geier matthew at law.usyd.edu.au
Sat Apr 25 02:51:44 GMT 1998

>   3) Am I being hacked?
> 	by Tim Winders <twinders at SPC.cc.tx.us>

> I am seeing a BUNCH of these type of messages in my log.nmb file.  the IP
> address varies, with only 2 different ones showing up.

 Only 2? :-)

> process_node_status_request: status request for name *<00> from IP 206.139.7.109
>  on subnet REMOTE_BROADCAST_SUBNET - name not found.

 I get these all the time, from a wide varity of source addresses,
some may be our own people (with laptops) on the move, but I imagine
most are 'hackers' looking for NT/Win95 box with a writable share.

 My site get probed all the time. Just the last week some one probed
every IP address looking for IMAP servers.

Matthew Geier,                          matthew at law.usyd.edu.au
Computer Systems Manager,               +61 2 9351 0240
Law School, University of Sydney        +61 2 9351 0200 (fax)