incorrect file copy in w95

Andrej Borsenkow borsenkow.msk at sni.de
Fri Apr 24 09:00:21 GMT 1998

This problem was already discussed here. The reason: SAMBA 1.9.18 by default
supports oplocks. Oplocks allow clients to cache data locally.
Unfortunately, SAMBA has no (simple/effective) way to detect, that file was
changed locally and request client to invalidate it's cache. So, you have
two choices:

  - never change files, accessed via SAMBA, locally on Unix host
  - disable oplocks (at least for shares, which can be modified both by
clients and Unix).

The latter can result in some performace loss (according to SAMBA docs, up
to 30%); but if all you do is just copying files to/from SAMBA host, it is
probably not so important.

hope it helps

Andrej