Resolved: NT4 + SP3 reports can't NetServerEnum2 using Samba

Stanley.Hopcroft at ipaustralia.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at ipaustralia.gov.au
Fri Apr 24 08:48:57 GMT 1998

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to say that the problem reported on Wed 22 April 1998,
where NT 4.0 + Service Pack 3 servers repeatedly report they can't get
the server list from the Master Browser when using a Samba WINS has
been resolved.

We found that upgrading from 1.9.17p11 to 1.9.18p4 suppressed the
problem reports and also the problems the servers had in viewing the
network neigbourhood.

Many thanks to Paul Blackman who my employer will pay for his prompt
assistance and audit of our SMB setup.

I think it's possible that readers of this list can make a real
contribution and provide a good commercial service if they can provide
prompt knowlegable and effective help for the legions of users who
want to plug it in and have it work.

Apart from Commercial Samba Support there does not seem to be much
professional support for Microsoft Networking (SMB, browsing).

What does appear to be available are

. people wearing suits who flourish the MS documents but can't apply
them

. commercial protocol analysers that stop at decoding the SMB opcode

(I have yet to see a product - I haven't seen the MS stuff - that
provides as much detail, mandatory detail as tcpdump-smb)

Thank you,

Yours sincerely

S Hopcroft
IP Australia