1rst startup of samba

Christian CHALLE cc at sdm.bel.alcatel.be
Wed Apr 22 16:14:29 GMT 1998

I have installed samba for the first time and I try to start it
in a windows 95 environement.

I started nmbd and smbd with the config file listed at the end
of this mail (I remove all comment for clarity)

I expect to use samba with the SHARE protocol of Windows 95 (No WINS)

The new server (sdmpcsv02) is recognised by the other pc's but
the can list the exported files

The smbclient -L sdmpcsv02 give the foloowin error message:

sdmb08:/usr/local/samba/bin 64 #>  ./smbclient -L sdmpcsv02
Added interface ip=192.105.195.167 bcast=192.105.195.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Got a positive name query response from 192.105.195.167
(192.105.195.167)
Session request failed (0,0) with myname=SDMPCSV02 destname=SDMPCSV02
Unspecified error 0x0
Your server software is being unfriendly

Does somebody can help me?

- Extract of the configuration file (smb.conf)

sdmb08:/usr/local/samba/bin 66 #> more ../lib/smb.conf
; The global setting for a default install
; Copyright(C) John H Terpstra - 1997
;======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

; workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: REDHAT4
   workgroup = sdm
   netbios name = sdmpcsv02
   server string = SdM Server Win95

; comment is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   comment = Samba Server

; Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
/etc/passwd
;  guest account = pcguest

   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

; Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb)
   max log size = 50

; Options for handling file name case sensitivity and / or preservation
; Case Sensitivity breaks many WfW and Win95 apps
;   case sensitive = yes
    short preserve case = yes
    preserve case = yes
; Security and file integrity related options
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   locking = yes
; Strict locking is available for paranoid locking situations only
;        enabling this severely degrades read / write performance.
;   strict locking = yes
;   fake oplocks = yes
   share modes = yes

; Security modes: USER uses Unix username/passwd, SHARE uses WfW type
passwords
;        SERVER uses an other SMB server (eg: Windows NT Server or
Samba)
;        to provide authentication services
   security = SHARE
[msoffice]
  browseable = yes
  comment = Microsoft Office
  force group = sdm
  create mode = 0775
  path = /sd07h/Lpc
  read only = yes

Best Regards

  C. Cahlle
--

   _____________               Christian CHALLE
   \           /              CAD System Manager
         V      (Belgium)            Mailto:cc at sdm.bel.alcatel.be
                                            challe at etca.alcatel.be