Browsing across subnets - some more problems

Graham Leggett graham at vwv.com
Tue Apr 21 14:28:00 GMT 1998

Hi all,

I am still battling to get browsing across subnets to work.

I just need some clarification on some issues. I understand the
following things to be the case, please correct me if I am wrong:

- Machines on a subnet will periodically announce their existance by
broadcasting to everyone their identity
- Other machines will hear these broadcasts, and add the machines to
their browse lists.
- If one of the machines is a WINS server, that machine will keep note
of the broadcasting machine in it's WINS database, as well aqs add the
machine to it's browse list.

I am not getting the above, here are some questions / concerns:

- Why does nmbd appear to be running twice on some machines?

- Why does the samba WINS server add machines to it's WINS database, but
not add machines to its browse list?

- Why does another samba server not receive an updated browse list from
the WINS server?

Any ideas?

Regards,
Graham