Failure to traverse unix directories under Samba 1.9.18p4

David Evans DJEVANS at au.oracle.com
Tue Apr 21 06:35:06 GMT 1998

Hello,

Base details: Samba 1.9.18p4 under Solaris 2.5.1 to Win95 and NT boxes.

I don't know if this is a bug or my lack of knowledge. Someone before
me installed Samba 1.9.16p11 on another machine from a binary downloaded
from the US. The users here want the same function but I wanted to
compile Samba myself to see how it works. Unfortunately I have run into
a problem that is not covered in the FAQ, DIAGNOSIS.txt, HINTS.txt,
GOTCHA.txt or the Digest Archive. I believe I've missed one of the
configuration parameters in smb.conf but I don't know which one.

The compile and install went well. I've been able to mount the shared
volumes but that is all. When I try to traverse down I get the message
that the folder does not exist.

Going though the steps in DIAGNOSIS.txt and reading the other files
has not shed any light on the problem. I have tried setting security
to user and shared but the problem still exists under both settings.
Comparing the smb.conf file from mine and the previous version
did not help either.

The password recognises my ID under smbclient. I can see the shared
volumes from the Intel boxes. I can view the shared directories from
the samba server. Samba is running as root and on port 137.

Any suggestions?

David Evans