diskless windows

F. G. P. fgp at fgp.atnet.at
Sat Apr 18 15:05:43 GMT 1998

Hi

I set up some diskless wfw 3.11 clients at my school. Looks like:
.) I you use the Dos-Client you mentioned, you can mount samba-shares
   under DOS - but you can't browse the net or connect to shared under.
   Windows for Workgroups 3.11 . Actually, this means you could also use
the "normal" Windows 3.11
.) To get netscape to work, you need a winsock.dll for you dos-tcp-stack -
Which I didn't find for the Dos-Client from Microsoft or IBM.

We "solved" the whole problemy by doing the dos-drivemapping over
novell-protocols(Using the mars-novell-emulation under linux). We
installed WfW 3.11 & MS-TCP/IP 32. This now enables the network
capabilities built-in in wfw 3.11, and it also supplies a winsock.dll

					mfg, fgp

E-Mail: fgp at fgp.atnet.at (Mail me for my PGP 5.0 public key)

This Mail was created with: