Using "host" works, but not "host.domain.com"????

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Sat Apr 18 14:57:42 GMT 1998

Hi all,

>	I set up samba 1.9.18p4 on Solaris 2.6 and have things working for
>the most part.  One strange thing though.  One a Win95 client when I type:
>
>net use g: \\host\philip
>
>I connect just fine, but when I type:
>
>net use g: \\host.domain.com\philip
>
>I get the following errror:
>
>Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be
>located.  Make sure you are specifying the computer name correctly, or try
>again later when the remote computer is available.
>
>However, I can ping both host and host.domain.com just fine.

Lots of things to say here.

First Microsoft's name resolution is less than wonderful.

Second, NetBIOS names (ie \\netbiosname) are limited to 14 (or so)
characters.  Hence sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk  is known in the Samba worls as
sn.doc.ic.ac.uk (and a very huge and handy ftp-site it is!)

Finally, all the above can be further confused by the use (or otherwise)
of  WINS.  Even if your 95 client isn't using it, then your Samba server might
be if you set it up that way.

Best of luck in your investigations,

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x 285     Everything else: +44 956 237670 (anytime)