CRNL <-> NL automatic conversion

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Thu Apr 16 16:52:23 GMT 1998

TSEB at EUROPAY.com wrote:

> As I understood from a couple of posted messages, this problem regularly
> pops up in the news. It also seems that Samba doesn't support this
> feature. So, if I can spend enough time on it, I might consider
> starting. My first question is, of course: has anyone written this
> feature ? or even started or tried ?
>
> Has anyone any idea / suggestion / warning ?

I have a comment. I must confess I am averse to
file servers that modify the content of the files
they are serving. I currently have to maintain
the AppleTalk Netatalk file sharing code for
Whistle (my employer) as well as working on
Samba, and one of the first things I removed
from that code was the (buggy) code to do the
CRLF translations.

It tends to slow things down all over the
code, and what's more it's a nightmare to
get right - as an added bonus lots of
applications will break :-).

Please consider not writing this code and
working on some other part of Samba :-) :-).

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.