smbpasswd does not work for normal users in 1.9.18p4

Todd Pfaff todd at edge.cis.mcmaster.ca
Tue Apr 14 13:46:29 GMT 1998

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Geza Makay wrote:

> It seems to me that smbpasswd does not work for normal users in Samba
> version 1.9.18p4. If I invoke it as root, then there is no problem with it,
> but if I invoke it as a normal user, then I get the following:
>
> $ smbpasswd -D 99
> Old SMB password:
> New SMB password:
> Retype new SMB password:
> Connecting to 127.0.0.1 at port 139
> write_socket(3,76)
> write_socket(3,76) wrote 76
> Sent session request
> got smb length of 1
> smbpasswd: machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the session request. Error was : code
> 131.

i sent a message about this a few days ago.  you have to add localhost to
your 'allow hosts' in smb.conf.

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \