Samba can't resolv password

Robert Koruna robert.koruna at tiwag.co.at
Thu Apr 9 09:28:26 GMT 1998

Hello,

>  As it works with Win95, but not NT, it
> looks like you may have a Lanman password in your
> smbpasswd file (the first encrypted entry), but
> not an NT password (the second).
> Check that the field for this user contains both
> the lanman hash and the NT hash (for details on
> these look in docs/ENCRYPTION.txt).

Thanks for you fast responding. All two fields were filled out.
The thing I did now was to get the libdes, compiled and installed it.
And I compiled Samba with the -DSMBGETPASS option.

Now it seems to work, although I guess I have a user-remapping
problem.

The user-remapping doesn't seem to work correctly, while trying to
change the password.

In a normal session, I try to connect to a share, the file user.map
is searched an the user is remapped.
In case of password changeing, the file user.map doesn't open at all.
It tries to find the password of the user, that comes from the NT
station (or Win95), and is very surpriesed that it didn't find a
password for a non existant user (due to NULL password).

Is there a flag to set, that the first thing to do, is to check the
user.map file ?

Thanks a lot for your help.
I'm really very glad for the fast support I get of you and the list.

Greetings,

Robert

Robert Koruna <robert.koruna at tiwag.co.at>

TIWAG-Tiroler Wasserkraftwerke AG