group access share (was Re: SAMBA digest 1648)

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Thu Apr 9 01:43:02 GMT 1998

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Yanek Korff wrote:

> >Establish a user foobar in /etc/passwd with GID of foobar.
> >Then alter your smb.conf to read something like
> >[foobar]
> >   path = /anywhere/foobar
> >   valid users = foobar, @foobar
> >   force user = foobar
> >   force group = foobar
> >   create mode = 771
> So I'd still have to know in advance which users I want to allow (andy,
> bert, charly...)?  I think I tried force user at one point to try and
> ignore the username that win95 sent over, but samba seemed to autheticate
> based on their username anyway.

"Force user" only specifies the uid of smbd when accessing that share, and
hence owner of files and uid used for permission checking. If you have
"security = user" samba will of course authenticate based on username sent
by win95.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301