Access across routers

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Wed Apr 8 19:44:18 GMT 1998

Michael Will wrote:

> This allows you to connect, but if you are browsing the network
> neighborhood, and you double click on the \\xyx when the server is not
> local, you get a error back netname could not be found; where as the
> \\xyx.nrl.navy.mil works fine.
>
> Any ideas how to standardize this to allow connections with only the names?
> I can get it to work when I point my NT client to a local WINS server
> (where the \\xyx is also located) however, we have mulitple DOMAINs and we
> can keep chaging the primary and secondary WINS servers on the client.

Well, in order to do NetBIOS name resolution across routed
networks you have to have the clients pointing at a WINS
server. The names that appear in the 'network neighborhood'
are always the short NetBIOS names so you need a known
WINS server to be able to resolve them if they're not in
your broadcast area.

> we can keep chaging the primary and secondary WINS servers on the client.

This looks like the real problem to me :-).

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.