Access across routers

Michael Will Michael_Will at kingcrab.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Apr 8 18:56:05 GMT 1998

Greetings,

I have an interesting situation where SAMBA servers that are across various
routers are requiring the fully qualified domain name.  Example:
\\xyx.nrl.navy.mil.  If our SAMBA server is local (behind the same router
as our client), then the \\xyx name will work fine....

This allows you to connect, but if you are browsing the network
neighborhood, and you double click on the \\xyx when the server is not
local, you get a error back netname could not be found; where as the
\\xyx.nrl.navy.mil works fine.

Any ideas how to standardize this to allow connections with only the names?
I can get it to work when I point my NT client to a local WINS server
(where the \\xyx is also located) however, we have mulitple DOMAINs and we
can keep chaging the primary and secondary WINS servers on the client.

Michael

--
Michael Will                    |   Voice: (202) 767-9196 Ext. 226
Naval Research Lab Code 8140    |   Fax:   (202) 404-8918
4555 Overlook Ave. SW           |   E-mail: will at kingcrab.nrl.navy.mil
Washington, DC 20375		|   Skypage: 1-800-SKY-PAGE #1528803

Key fingerprint =  B5BC B3BB 8995 D642 309F  9A12 9C4F D4A2 9774 DD13