Samba can't resolv password

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Wed Apr 8 17:17:26 GMT 1998

Robert Koruna wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I finally switched to the samba-1.9.18p4, and got all my files on
> this server.
> But now I have a big problem, all our NT machines can't access the
> server.
>
> They tell wrong user or password.
>
> In the debugging mode I see, that the NT machines come to the server
> and find the right user, then they tell me:
>

> get_smbpwd_entry: found by name: widaka01
> get_smbpwd_entry: returning passwd entry for user widaka01, uid 1100
> Checking NT MD4 password
> NT MD4 password check failed
> Error smb_password_check failed
> Checking password for user widaka01 (l=24)
> Disallowing access to widaka01 due to null password
> NT Password did not match ! Defaulting to Lanman
> SMB Password - pwlen = 24, challenge_done = 1
> Checking SMB password for user widaka01 (l=24)

Robert,

	As it works with Win95, but not NT, it
looks like you may have a Lanman password in your
smbpasswd file (the first encrypted entry), but
not an NT password (the second).

Check that the field for this user contains both
the lanman hash and the NT hash (for details on
these look in docs/ENCRYPTION.txt).

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.