win95, dialup networking, wins

matthew tebbens matthew at tebbens.com
Wed Apr 8 14:07:12 GMT 1998

Thats exactly what I have !
I have 2 interfaces, the dialup networking and an ethernet card installed.
I tried everything to get it to work on a per-connection basis, but it
just does not go. The ONLY way I got it to work was setting the wins
server in the main config and setting the dns in each of the dial-ups.
Its really weird that I can define dns on a per-connection basis but not
wins !?!

I sure hope this is fixed in win98, or atleast information about what
exactly happens when you configure win98 networking.

Thanks again,
Matthew

-----------------
IIRC, the main set always overrides the per-connection settings. The
notable parts are 1: DNS is always overridable (especially if you don't
put one in the main setting), and the gateway is always unique.

> Does anyone know if the following is a known problem, or maybe I
> configured something wrong.
Answer: Microsoft's "quality" quality control.

> In windows95 you can configure a seperate dns and wins servers for
each
> dialup that you make. You can also configure these in the 'main?'
setup
> under control panel>network.
> After 2 days of hell, I figured out that my system will only use the
> wins server if its specified in the 'main' setup and will not work if
> I specify it in any of my seperate dialups BUT dns will work in each
> of the dialups !?!?
Did you try only using the per connection settings, with *NOTHING*
(other than the defaults) being used in the main setup? Oh, if you have
a NIC, you are, by definition, screwed. Remember, Microsoft's
programming model is: if the network is up, you're one damn lucky guy.