2 servers won't sync browse lists accross network

Greg Patten greg at iconsult.com.au
Tue Apr 7 12:55:09 GMT 1998

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Greg Patten wrote:
> >
> > We've got two samba servers either side of a modem link and I'm trying
> > to get them to sync browse lists. Using remote sync and friends the
> > servers try and sync but invariably each time one does the other end
> > rejects the `browse sync sessionsetup' i.e.
> >
> > sync_with_lmb: Initiating sync with local master browser BOX1<0x20> at
> > IP 192.168.1.2 for workgroup WORKGROUP
> > 04/06/1998 21:44:53: sync_browse_lists: Sync browse lists with server
> >                     BOX1<20> at IP 192.168.1.2 for workgroup WORKGROUP
> > Connecting to 192.168.1.2 at port 139
> > sync_browse_lists: BOX1 rejected the browse sync sessionsetup
> >
> > Can someone tell me what this might be and how I can avoid it. I've
> > followed BROWSING.txt to the letter (as far as I can tell). i.e. one
> > domain master, both servers are local masters, one wins server etc.
>
> This is interesting - crank up the debug log level
> on the smbd refusing the connection and see what
> it says. The browse sync connection should be made
> as an anonymous (guest) user - so check guest is
> allowed on the IPC$ share.

I have `guest account = nobody' and smb says:

SMB Password - pwlen = 24, challenge_done = 1
Checking SMB password for user nobody (l=24)
get_smbpwd_entry: skipping comment or blank line
get_smbpwd_entry: skipping comment or blank line
get_smbpwd_entry: skipping comment or blank line
Couldn't find user nobody in smb_passwd file.

I can see it there although it doesn't have a password (just the
XXXX..)  If I set a password smbd finds it but the login fails.
I must be missing something very simple ..

Cheers and many thanks for the response,
Greg.