NIS and NT password synching

Anthony Farrow A.N.Farrow at Cranfield.ac.uk
Mon Apr 6 09:52:42 GMT 1998

List,

I sat up and took note at the latest release of samba when
it talked about Synching the NT and Unix passwords!
However, after reading the documentation I am a little
confused.

We tried using the smbpasswd concept a while back
but abandoned it in favour of the "password server =
nt-box" idea as it was simpler. We got around synching
passwords from the unix end by using a nt rsh server and
few wraparound scripts. However, this isn't the world's
greatest method! Is it possible at the new version to use
smbpasswd to change both the NIS and remote NT Domain
Controller password and still use server level security as
above, or do you have to revert to user level to achieve
this? Has anybody else tried this?

Any information of general comments would be welcome.

Best Regards,

	Anthony

  Anthony Farrow BSc.(Hon.)
  Systems Programmer