smbd not loading

Tim Pailthorpe tpailthorpe at pacecom.co.uk
Mon Apr 6 09:32:38 GMT 1998

John Blair mailed me about Re: smbd not loading
at 5:54 on  3 Apr 98.

> > When I try and load smbd I get this error in the log :-
> >
> > bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (Address already in use)
> > Closing connections 04/02/1998 14:02:01 Server exit  (caught signal)
> >
> > I am using Slackware 3 with Linux kernel 2.0.33, and
> > Samba-1.9.18p4. there is no problem with Netbios naming as I can see th
> > Linux machine in Network Neighbourhood and my samba client seems to be
> > working fine.
> > I have tried comparing my setup to another machine that works and can
> > find no major discrepancy.
>
> This means you've got something else bound to port 139.  Perhaps
> Slackware 3 comes with Samba pre-installed?  Try running 'netstat |
> grep netbios'. You may see something like this:
>
> tcp        0      0 frodo:netbios-ssn       async3-9.usr.ppp.u:1616 \
> ESTABLISHED udp        0      0 frodo:netbios-ns        *:*
>                      udp        0      0 frodo:netbios-dgm       *:*
>
> 'netbios-ssn' is port 139, the netbios session service.  If you see it
> listed at all then you already have something using port 139.

Thanks, but unfortunately there is no such service running. Any other
ideas ;-)

Tim Pailthorpe,
Network Administrator,
PMC Consumer Electronics Ltd. (Pace Modems)
For my PGP Public Key mail me with the Subject: PUBLIC KEY
FED4 2957 A3FE 2450 5DFC  947A E691 4AB9 DC8A 391E