Triggering processes through Samba

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Mon Apr 6 07:35:13 GMT 1998

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, John Blair wrote:

> A third (I just thought of this one), rather extreme possibility would
> be to modify the 'magic script' command to allow you to specify an
> arbitrary command that will be executed when an arbitrary filename is
> closed.  This might not be too difficult, but would involve dipping into
> the innards of Samba :)

Why would you do this when the shell script that you execute through the
"magic script" file can execute an arbitrary command anyway?

A thing to remeber when creating a "magic script" file is that DOS
applications will normally create the file with CR-LF end of lines. Some
Unix script languages (the list starts with Bourne shell) will be confused
by text files with other than just LF separated lines.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301