Problem with smbpasswd

Rainer Hauck hauck at informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Apr 3 09:13:00 GMT 1998

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> The man page is in error, I will fix it in the
> cvs sources. Thanks for letting me know.

Great. Thank you.

> As for your other problem, it sounds like you
> may have an smb.conf error. What does testparm
> say ?

If you're talking about the problem with the line:
params.c:Parameter() - Ignoring badly formed line in configuration file: bal
you're perfectly right. There was one line too much in the smb.conf. But as this line
was ignored anyway it was not responsible for my problem:

I still can't change the Debug Level of smbpasswd from the command line. No matter if
I'm root or not. It always takes the debug level from smb.conf. I can't raise it and I
can't lower it. Can you??? Sure, I can set the debug level to 0 (in smb.conf) to make
smbpasswd stop giving debug information to my users but that also prevents me from
getting log messages.
Testparm now says:

Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[cp]"
Processing section "[proj]"
Processing section "[pc]"
Processing section "[pcsoft]"
Processing section "[tmp]"
Processing section "[pub]"
Loaded services file OK.

So there should not be a problem with smb.conf. If you're interested in more details
about my configuration just let me know.

Thanks

Rainer

> Jeremy.
>
> --
> Buying an operating system without source is like buying
> a self-assembly Space Shuttle with no instructions.

        _  _ _  _ _  _          RAINER HAUCK
        |\/| |\ | |\/|          Institut fuer Informatik / Dept. of CS
        |  | | \| |  |          Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich
     ======= TEAM =======       Oettingenstr. 67, 80538 Munich, Germany
Munich Network Management Team  Room D01,Phone +49-89-2178-2155,Fax-2262
Muenchner Netz-Management Team  email: hauck at informatik.uni-muenchen.de