Dissapearing samba servers

John Blair jdblair at frodo.tucc.uab.edu
Wed Apr 1 13:22:52 GMT 1998

Ian,

> I've seen a couple of people post this problem, but I've never seen an
> answer, and now it's happenning to me.
>
> I run Solaris 2.5.1, and samba-1.9.17p1.

First suggestion would be to upgrade to 1.9.18p4.  Your problem may
disappear.

> Every so often a pc can look in the network neighborhood and the samba
> server just isn't there, though you can still map a network drive by
> using a UNC pathway:
>
> \\server\share
>
> so the share is still out there but the server dissapears every so
> often.

Would you describe the structure of your network?  It sounds like you've
got a problem syncronizing local master browsers on a multiple-subnet IP
network.  Of course, if your network is all in one subnet this can't be
the problem :)

> Any clues would be much appreciated.
>
> Iain
>
> ps What is the equiv of samba for macintoshes if there is one??

Netatalk.  Runs on Linux and Solaris.  I highly recommend it.

 -john.

John D. Blair          (sys|net)admin, the university computer center
mailto:jdblair at uab.edu                    u. of alabama at birmingham
phoneto:(205) 975-7123                        (my other car is a cdr)