PART SUMMARY: Filenames with '*' in them.

George Gallen ggallen at slackinc.com
Tue Sep 30 19:35:04 GMT 1997

Problem: When a filename (on the unix share) contains a "*", the name
              gets mangled.

Solution#1 - Remove the *'s from the Filenames (for me, not possible).

Part Solution#2: (Below)  I say "part" because with this change, now I
can
see the correct filenames of the unix share from within W95 when I
do a directory. BUT.... I still can't access these files. If I click on
them
It says It can't find the file "e:\..." even though it displays the name
correctly.

Does anyone know what routine opens the file requested? Possibly in
that subroutine I will find where to allow it read a file with a "*" in
it?!?

Thanx
George Gallen
ggallen at slackinc.com

Description of Part Solution:

By editing out the "*" from mangle.c as an illegal character (see below)
samba will now pass the * along as part of a VALID filename

<beginning of file>
static BOOL illegal_name(char *name)
{
  static unsigned char illegal[256];