Mixed 3.51 and 4.0 with encryption

Dave Wreski dave at nic.com
Sun Sep 28 12:38:06 GMT 1997

Hi all.  I have read the documentation on samba and encryption, but came
across no documentation describing how to deal with mixed 3.51 and 4.0
workstation environments.  I currently have a samba 1.9.17p1 server with
encryption enabled, to support my NT 4.0 SP3 machines.

How does 3.51 SP5 deal with passwords?

Can someone explain to me how to prevent NT asking for a password when
logging into a samba server, even when the username and password is the
same for both the NT box and the Linux box running samba?

Thanks,
Dave Wreski