smbclient can't see sometimes... II

Martin Mielke martin at jaleo.idecnet.com
Fri Sep 26 15:40:34 GMT 1997

Hello everybody,

it's the second time I post the same question so I hope someone is able
to help me. Maybe I haven't described my situation very well so here it
goes again...

when I use smbclient -L $SERVER to see which shares are available in a
PC box I miss something sometimes. For example:

# smbclient -L pivita
Added interface ip=192.1.1.21 bcast=192.1.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Wed Sep 24 17:42:32 1997
Timezone is UTC-7.0

Server=[PIVITA] User=[] Workgroup=[JALEO] Domain=[]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        ADMIN$         Disk
        DESKJET 520    Printer
        DOLORES        Disk
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        PRINTER$       Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors

PIVITA is a Win95 box.
I know for certain that there are almost two shares more called C$ and
D$. If I execute a smbtar -v -s pivita -x ADMIN$ -t testfile.smbtar I
can actually transfer files from PIVITA and store them in
testfile.smbtar. If I let the smbtar command do its task or even if I
interrupt the process and then I take a look at the shares on the Win95
machine, I see:

# smbclient -L pivita
Added interface ip=192.1.1.21 bcast=192.1.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Wed Sep 24 17:42:32 1997
Timezone is UTC-7.0

Server=[PIVITA] User=[] Workgroup=[JALEO] Domain=[]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        ADMIN$         Disk
        C$             Disk
        D$             Disk
        DESKJET 520    Printer
        DOLORES        Disk
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        PRINTER$       Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors

So after that I can transfer the files from the share(s) I really need.

I use SAMBA 1.9.16p11 running on a SGI under IRIX 6.2 and the problems
arise with Win95 boxes. I still haven't experienced such a case with
NT's.

Any clue/ideas/help/comments ??? ;)

Thanks in advance,

M at rtin