SAMBA digest 1431

Susan Hull shull at sric.sri.com
Thu Sep 25 18:39:02 GMT 1997

Problem: Can not see or find Samba server from Win 95 (version B) machine
When using network neighborhood or the "find computer" function All of
our Win 95 version B machines can not see or find our Unix/Samba server in
the network neighborhood;  however, our Win 95 version A machines can see
and find the Unix/Samba server.

What the heck is the problem?
samba wrote:
> [...]
>martin at jaleo.idecnet.com
>Tel.: ++ 34 28 262299
>Fax : ++ 34 28 263504
>===================================
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 15:13:32 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Darrin M. Gorski" <dgorski at ford.com>
>To: Boorman Tim <Boorman.Tim at lusis.com>
>Cc: Multiple recipients of list <samba at samba.anu.edu.au>
>Subject: Re: Samba Problems
>

>I'm curious; why on earth would anyone/anything create a file called
'*'?

>I've seen this question before, but I've not figured out if people are
>trying to bulletproof a system, or if they actually get files called
'*'?

>>From DOS (Win-whatever) if you 'del *', only files without a '.' in
them
>would be removed, so it sounds to me like Samba is expanding the
>wildcard, not DOS.
>
>If this is the case, would one need to be concerned with other wilcard
>characters?
>
>Would a file called '`ls -d /`*' remove all of the files in the root?
>

>On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Boorman Tim wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of problems with Samba that I would appreciate help
>> with:
>>
>> 2. When a directory on a UNIX machine contains a file named *, this
file
>> appears with the name ~16 in Windows Explorer. If this file is deleted
>> using Windows Explorer, all the files in the directory on the UNIX
>> machine are deleted.
>
>                                [Darrin]
>
> "I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious."
>				- A. Einstein
>
>Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
>Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
>Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753
>

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 15:25:01 -0400
>From: "Maung, Than" <maungt at BRAGG.ARMY.MIL>
>To: "'samba at samba.anu.edu.au'" <samba at samba.anu.edu.au>
>Subject: Interactive Unix
>
>Can anybody tell where I can find SAMBA source/binary for SUN's
>Interactive Unix.
>
>Thanks
>
>Than M MAung
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 16:35:03 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Todd Pfaff <todd at edge.cis.mcmaster.ca>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <samba at samba.anu.edu.au>
>Cc: A.N.Farrow at cranfield.ac.uk, cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
>Subject: Re: HELP : Getting Samba to authenticate against YP (NIS)
>
>On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 samba at samba.anu.edu.au wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 11:58:15 +1000 (EST)
>> From: Charlie Brady <cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au>
>> To: "A.Farrow" <A.N.Farrow at cranfield.ac.uk>
>> Subject: Re: HELP : Getting Samba to authenticate against YP (NIS)
.au>

>> On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, A.Farrow wrote:
>>
>> > However, I recently heard (although I cannot place the source) that
Samba
>> > could authenticate against a YP Server. If this is true, then I am
assuming
>> > that this will eliminate the need for a smbpasswd file, and I would
then

>> Getting samba to authenticate against a YP server should be easy to
>> implement if it doesn't happen already.
>
>this is true only if you're using 'encrypt passwords = no', correct?
>
>> > only have to keep YP and
>> > NT in synchronisation. Still a task, but one less thing to do, and
more
>> > importantly
>> > one less thing to get out of synch.
>>
>> There is a (in development) package called nisGINA to get NT to
>> authenticate against a YP server. This should do the trick.
>
>i asked about nisgina recently but didn't get any response.  i'm happily
>using nisgina-1.0.2.0 on my nt 4.0 workstation.  what isn't working for
me
>is the sambapasswdd program which allows nisgina to update the smbpasswd
>entry based on the nis password.  is anyone else successfully using
>sambapasswdd on their samba/nis server?
>
>--
>Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
>Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
>ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
>McMaster University                   \
>Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \

>Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 22:04:48 -0400
>From: Jared Hall <jhall at tbi.net>
>To: samba at samba.anu.edu.au
>Subject: DNS Lookups
>
>V. 1.9.17p1, FreeBSD.
>
>Why is it that SAMBA will do a DNS lookup for a WINS host (that is not
>in DNS), even though nmblookup returns the IP address straightaway?
>
>The problem I'm having is that my dialup connection is activated when
DNS